Kenmore Bears Junior Rugby Club
Weekly newsletter 31 May 2018
CLUB OFFICIALS – SATURDAY/SUNDAY – We are looking for 3 or 4 Club Officials to rotate for Saturday or Sunday game day duties. They will be required to open and close the Club, assist in the Canteen and be the representative of the Club for the day. If you think you can help out, please contact us!
Canteen Officer – A member is required to be available for deliveries to the club house during the day, and generally on a Thursday or Friday.
Samu Kerevi visit
Samu’s visit last week was hugely popular with parents and kids alike! Many thanks to Reuben Packer-Hill for arranging the visit. Look out for another Reds player visiting on June 15th!
See many more photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/U2RTyVkCj7fkmdfb2
Congrats to BJRU rep players selected this week
We’ve had quite a few Kenmore players selected for BJRU rep teams this week, congratulations to the following players:
For U16, Charlie Jones
For U12, Frazer Edwards, Finn Eldred, Bailey Moss, Zach Harte, Benjy Martin, Austin Neame
Scrum Machine Fixed
The scrum machine has been fixed, thanks to Peter Pouloudis for attending to its maintenance. The schedule for Friday nights use is to be developed. Evan Willis, who assists the seniors at Wests Rugby has kindly offered his services to help teams with their scrum. If you are interested in taking up Evan with his generous offer, please lets us know.
Final Call for coaches to the WALLABIES COACHING SYMPOSIUM
From the QRU:
I would like to confirm that this June Rugby AU will be hosting the Wallabies Coaching Symposium in Brisbane (Brisbane Grammar School 6pm start), Melbourne (VRU Rooms, AAMI Stadium) and Sydney (Ella Rooms, Rugby AU) on the Wednesday evening prior to each test match. Each event will go for 3.5 hours and flow as follows:
- Welcome and Introduction (Rod Kafer)
- Wallaby Coach Focus (Nathan Grey – Brisbane; Stephen Larkham – Melbourne; Michael Cheika – Sydney)
- Skill Acquisition (Mick Byrne)
The evening will be the major focus and reward to those coaches who hold a current accreditation (Smart Rugby and Coach level). The event is free of charge for these coaches as a “thank you” from Rugby Australia for the tireless work they do throughout the season and each event will be capped at 50 (Melbourne) and 100 (Brisbane and Sydney) only. Coaches without the correct accreditation will not be permitted entry on the night.
Upcoming Coach Education South East Queensland
- Coaching Kids Rugby skills session. Ideal for coaches who are coaching in the U6-U12 age groups. This is a practical outdoor session run to allow coaches to effectively learn and see activities and drills suitable to coach kids safely and with correct technique. The cost of this course is $20 to attend and registration is through the rugby learning centre. Next courses are on at the following venues:
- Palm Beach Currumbin Rugby Club – Gold Coast 28th May 2018. 6pm – 8.30pm
- Toowoomba Bears Rugby Club – Darling Downs 14th June 2018. 5pm – 8pm
- Caboolture Rugby Club 2nd July 2018. 12 midday – 2:30pm
- Everton Park Rugby Club 3rd July 2018. 5pm – 8pm
- Foundation Coach Course. Suitable for coaches wanting to obtain their level 1, the foundation coach course completion will allow participants to go online post course completion and complete their level 1 coach accreditation online and for free. The foundation course is aimed for coaches in the U12-U16 and is ideal for coaches wanting to progress their learning in the sport. The foundation coach course cost is at $95. Next courses are on at the following venues:
- Nudgee College 27th May 2018. 9am-5pm
- Anglican Church Grammar 3rd of June 2018. 8.30am-4.30pm
- Toowoomba Grammar Darling Downs 3rd of June 2018. 9am-5pm
- Developing Coach Course level 2 (via application only). This course is suitable for coaches who are coaching above an Under 16s level- Seniors. It is by application (please see attached application form) please return any applications back to my email address firstname.lastname@example.org and the course is limited to only 20 participants (only 5 spots left). The next available course is running on June 23-24. Two full days of coaching theory and practical coaching involved. The DCC level 2 coach course cost is $440.
If any prospective coaches should wish to attend any of the above courses (apart from DCC) to go onto the Rugby Learning Centre Portal – https://rugby.force.com/rugbyportal
Queensland Rugby Foundation Raffle
A message from Matt Horan at the Queensland Rugby Foundation:
The Queensland Rugby Foundation will be raising money for our junior clubs at the Reds v Waratahs Super Rugby match on Saturday, June 2. We’ll be doing this via the 50/50 Raffle – half of the money goes to the winner and the other half to the clubs. We’re looking for 20 volunteers to sell tickets at the match. You’ll get a ticket to the match as well, you just have to sell for an hour or so before the match and at half time.
We will distribute the funds to those clubs which assist with the selling – so if you sell $1000 worth of tickets, you’ve raised $500 for your club. So if you can provide four volunteers, you’ll be able to raise more for your club….
Volunteers will need to be adults (you’re handling cash). We will also give you 25% discount on any other tickets for the match if you want to bring anyone else.
If you think you can help, please let a club official know by Friday night as we need to pass on a name very soon.
Safety and clubhouse news
All Parents Please do not “drop and go” your children, you must be present during training. We also request that parents stay off the fields during Friday night training (except Cubs & U6). Please take advantage of the canteen, listen to the live music, and relax while your child is exercised and tired out ready for bed time!
Training equipment Please do not leave tackle pads etc unattended. Children are not to play with the equipment unless supervised by a coach.
No alcohol on the fields Please be aware that Kenmore Bears alcohol licence does not allow alcohol to be taken outside of the Clubhouse precinct. Do not take alcohol on the fields, or in the playground areas.
Canteen and BBQ
Please enjoy the canteen on Friday nights and game days. There is a selection of beers and wines, great coffee, and plenty of food.
Friday night – Mulled Wine
Various Home Made Pizzas
The BBQ will be running as usual. This week’s duties (Friday 1 June):
5:20pm – 6:30pm U7 Harlequin
6:25pm – 7:40pm U11 Red
A big shout out to our sponsors!
Rueben Packer-Hill, Gatorade, Lord of the Wings, Tim Alexander Carpentry, G James Glass, Westside BMW, Foxtel
In order to promote the Club and reduce the cost of registrations we need more sponsorship! We would love a sponsor to promote on new corner flags for the Club. Please contact us if you own a company, or work for a company that would be interested.
We’re on Twitter!
If Tweeting is more your style than Bookfacing, you can still catch all the news and more on our Twitter handle at http://twitter.com/KenmoreRugby